Monday, September 7, 2009

SpurView Strip on Sunday






Yesterday I flew back to the SpurView strip with some spare time to hike up toward the mountain a bit. The fog was laying low all the way over the inlet so the flight was super peaceful. There was no wind at all and the hike up the foothills of Mt. Spur was amazing. Every now and then you have an experience in nature that you know you will never forget. I have had two such experiences so far in my life, one was climbing up the flank of Mt. Russell and looking back on Foraker and the surrounding mountains with just pure awe at the size and grandeur of the Alaska range. The other happened yesterday while hiking in the high alpine tundra that leads up to the eastern seracs and glaciers of Mt. Spur. The fog seemed to blanket out any sound, and the lack of birds or wind created a stillness that is hard to find anywhere anymore. On the way up I ran into two projectiles that I have come across previously on the west side. Mike had told me of them when I first started flying with him in high school, and we found one on the McArthur river years ago. Yesterday I found two of them, one I brought home. I have found the manufacturer and have a serial number, so I'm going to do some research. I hope the pictures do the trip justice!
cheers,
Josh

No comments: