Friday, February 3, 2012

Cabin Friends














I spent a good amount of time this spring/summer/fall across the inlet at the cabin last year. When you put in your time in the area you really begin to see what it's all about. A few hours here and there will be a good time, but you will often miss the full on ecosystem that exists over there. This summer I finally began to see the river otters. They are often so quick and clever it's hard to get more than 30 seconds with them but I was fortunate enough to see them twice, once for a few minutes while they watched me fish on the Kustatan. Also included is a picture of the local muskrat that patrols the lake right at dusk. He/she will swim past every night at usually the same time up the lake, then be back by about 30 minutes later. While Mike and I were working on the tree fort, the Grebe pictured had been abandoned and was hanging out on shore so we grabbed a few pictures at set him out in the lake to see if he would be adopted.

3 comments:

Linda said...

My favorite - the ermine! I wonder if the grebe found a family.

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane said...

What a great variety of creatures. I hope the little grebe was adopted. What's the name of the little creature on the table? Diane